Review: One Night in Christmas by Debbie Mason

Sophia Dane's life is back on track. After losing her husband in a horrible accident, she's finally in a happy place. She turned her grief, guilt, and -- most of all -- the resentment her husband's family heaped on her after Bryce's death, into motivation to open a boutique on Main Street in the small-town of Christmas, Colorado. Ready to start anew and ring in the New Year with her friends, Sophie never expects to come face-to-face with her brother-in-law, Adam.

Coming home to Christmas was the last thing that Adam Dane wanted to do. But when he bumps into Sophia -- his brother's widow who he's been in love with since...forever -- he realizes that making the trip home was fate giving him a second chance. Unfortunately, she wants nothing to do with him after the way his family treated her. Adam knows he has a lot of making up to do, but first he needs to convince her to trust him -- and his family -- again.
  
I'm always excited when I see a new Debbie Mason book coming out. May it be a novella or a mass market it doesn't matter to me. All I know is that for the time it takes me to read it I'm going to be visiting with people that I love. 

Mason has this wonderful ability to make me start out loving a character than it turns to hate and comes back to either love or at least I  tolerate them. Of course, they don't always have to be the main characters in the book. Hell, their book might now even be written yet. Those are the ones that get me the most. I now have to wait to see if I'm going to keep hating them. Ha! 

For me, One Night in Christmas is a bag of mixed nuts. I really loved Sophia and Adam. Yes, I had issues with them but not that much. Sophia sent so much of her time trying to make sure her friend Autumn was happy that I think she forgot about herself. 

It was Autumn and Logan that just drove me nuts. I can honestly say that my eyes Logan is no hero. He's a childish baby who only thinks about himself. My two-year-old nephew has fewer temper tantrums then him. And even though when the chips were down Autumn was going in my eyes do Sophia wrong. I don't want to give to much away so I'm going to stop there. The good news for this story is that it's mostly about Sophia and Adam so I enjoyed 95% of it. The other 5% is Logan and Autumn. 

That's the wonderful thing about series you really get to feel like you know the characters and town and become invested in their lives to the point where you pick sides. You really wish you could just yell at them to do it this way! Of course, that would be nuts and make for a weird story. Characters have to be themselves. 

Even with those who aren't my favorite, the story is very good and so worth the read. It's fast paced so you'll be done with it before you know. So, have any of you read her before? If so share your thoughts with us. 
    



Since I wrote a crazy review and it's my birthday (I love gifts so I want to share) on Saturday I want to make sure you get a chance to read this novella so I'm going to giveaway one ebk copy. All you have to do is tell me if you've ever had a character that you hated and then loved either by the end of the book or when it was their book. Make sure to leave your email so I can pick someone.







Comments

  1. I haven't read this author but the story sounds good. It would be hard to start over after losing someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be. She's a great author that I've really enjoyed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight Sunday

Guest Post & Giveaway: The Elusive Lord Everhart by Vivienne Lorret

Review: Ignite on Contact by Jaci Burton